Mold and mildew have earned reputations as major household hassles. Both are fungi, but there’s nothing fun about either of them. From causing flaking tile grout to creating persistent allergies, mold and mildew are never welcome guests in any home. While the two are equally undesirable, they’re not the same. And when it comes to eradicating either, the key is to know thine enemy.
What is Mildew?
The lesser of two evils
If mold and mildew were a pair of movie villains, mildew would be the clumsy, less lethal sidekick. Mildew usually appears as a powdery, white surface fungi that can sometimes have a yellow tinge. It can usually be treated with a store-bought cleaner and scrub brush, but if left alone it might grow and cause bigger issues.
No matter what, mildew is not something you want getting cozy in your bedroom, growing in your bathroom, or sharing space in your kitchen. It’s best to treat it before it gets out of hand.
What is Mold?
The serious offender
Does your house have a musty odor? Or maybe you can already see mold in these spaces. If you’re noticing patches of black, red, green, or brown, chances are that you’re dealing with mold. And if you’ve got visible mold, it’s often part of a larger infestation. An overgrowth of mold spores has the potential to cause structural damage to your home. Mold growth from water damage can get expensive, really fast.
Mold might also be detected if those living inside the home experience a decline in overall health. Do you have itchy eyes and no allergies to explain them? That could be a sign of mold. For some, exposure to mold can cause allergic reactions leading to asthma, eye problems, or recurring headaches. In certain instances, it can cause long term mold-related health issues. Needless to say, if you’re dealing with mold, you need to treat it ASAP.
Treating Mold and Mildew Infestations
If your mold or mildew infestation is small and keeps to the surface, you may be able to treat it yourself with a store-bought cleaner. BUT proceed with caution. When cleaning up mold or mildew, it’s important to work in an as ventilated area as possible. Open your doors and windows and turn on a fan. It’s a good idea to wear a mask and gloves to protect yourself from toxic chemicals.
Mold Removal Service
When it comes to getting rid of mold or mildew, sooner is always better. If you can’t determine the extent of your problem or if your infestation has spread, consider hiring a mold removal service. Look for a reputable company who offers a comprehensive mold inspection. Depending upon the scope of your mold issue, you’ll also want to work with someone who has mold remediation experience. Working with a professional allows you to rest easy, knowing your family and pets aren’t exposed to harmful chemicals or inexperienced workmanship.
TCB EnviroCorp Gets Rid of Mold & Mildew
Don’t feel like you have to figure this one out alone! TCB EnviroCorp offers solutions for removing these toxins from your home. Whether you’re dealing with mold or mildew, we’re here to get rid of the problem, often in as little as 2-5 days! Want to schedule a mold test or indoor air quality testing for your home or business? Maybe you just have questions about mold in general? Call us! We’ll work with you to come up with individualized treatment options for living a mold-free life.