New Homes are at risk for mold growth
Can Mold Grow In New Homes?
Although older houses may be more prone to leaks, new ones are also vulnerable to mold because of energy-efficient windows and doors can keep moisture trapped inside. Follow these tips to reduce your risk.
How To Prevent Mold In Your New Home
Follow these tips to reduce your risk:
- Repair any leaks quickly. If you notice a moldy odor in a room, look for hidden leaks.
- Use exhaust fans, which vent outside of the home, in the bathroom and kitchen.
- In bathrooms, use washable throw rugs instead of carpet.
- Keep indoor humidity levels at 45 to 55 percent.
- Use an air conditioner with a HEPA filter to remove spores in the air, change the filter regularly.