Mold is a natural part of our ecosystem; it is in the air and plays a crucial role in breaking down materials in the environment. However, too much mold can wreak havoc on your home, furnishings, and health. There are many types of molds, and too much can cause chronic health problems such as respiratory issues, skin irritations, rashes, coughing, eye irritations, fatigue, infections, and asthma attacks. Striking a balance is critical.
Mold spores need moisture, nutrients, and a suitable place to grow. If your house has been affected by flooding, leaky pipes, poor ventilation in the attic, kitchen, bathrooms, and laundry rooms, or even warm, humid air, you may be susceptible to mold growth. In addition to water damage, humidifier use, overwatering of house plants, or small liquid spills can encourage mold growth.